The Great Outdoors in Luxembourg
Information on the facilities in Luxembourg for outdoor activities: walking, hiking, cycling and other activities in the area...
The Grand Duchy of Luxembourg has many marked paths for walking, hiking and cycling. Popular areas for outdoor sports include the Ardennes, Mullerthal in the east and Wellenstein in the Moselle region.
Most Tourist offices have information brochures, often in English and websites with details on activities in each area.
There are companies that hire out any specific equipment needed for excursions.
Before heading out to the countryside, you may want to check the weather.
The Luxembourg Tourist office can provide information on adventure and sports activities:
- Office National du Tourisme (ONT)
At: Gare Centrale, Luxembourg
Tel: 42 82 82 20
Fax: 42 82 82 38
Haute Sûre Nature Reserve
The Parc Naturel de la Haute-Sûre provides great opportunities for walking, mountain biking and horse riding. Water sports activities including sailing, windsurfing, kayaking, swimming and fishing are possible on the lake.
- Haute Sûre Nature Reserve (in French and German)
Tel: 89 93 31-201
In the winter, cross country skiing can be carried out in Harlange, provided there is enough snow.
- Harlange Snow Line Tel: 42 82 82 20
Hiking in Luxembourg
Hiking is popular in the Grand Duchy and there is an extensive network of hiking trails and footpaths throughout the country. The trans-European hiking routes, E2 (from the Netherlands and the Mediterranean) and the E3 (Atlantic-Bohemian Forest Footpath) both traverse Luxembourg,
- For further information on the trans-European hiking routes from the European Ramblers Association: Click here
There are 27 national and cross border hiking trails in Luxembourg. Official hiking routes are marked with a blue triangle and national footpaths are marked with a yellow sign. Regional walking maps as well as topographical and tourist maps can be obtained from most Tourist Offices.
- For a list of national hiking paths in Luxembourg: Click here (in French)
As well as the national hiking trails, a number of themed walks of varying distances and difficulty are possible. WebWalking is a website that allows users to plan their walk on the theme of their choice.
- Webwalking website (in French and German)
The Mullerthal region, known as Luxembourg's little Switzerland, is a popular area for hiking. The 110 Km Mullerthal trail is a natural path through forests, small canyons, rock formations and fields. Different distance hiking routes are available for all levels of fitness in the region.
- For information on hiking tours in the region see the Mullerthal Trail website
In the Moselle vineyard region, hikers can choose between a local walking circuit of 7.9 Km or a national path of 55 Km in the River Moselle Valley.
The Seven Castles Valley extends from Merch to Garnich in the west of the country and offers 200 Km of marked walking routes.
- For comprehensive information on hiking opportunities in Luxembourg see the Hiking in Luxembourg website
- For information on hiking from the Luxembourg tourist office: Click here
Cycling and Mountain Biking in Luxembourg
Cycling is a popular pastime in Luxembourg and there is an extensive national network of cycling paths.
- For a map of cycling paths throughout the country: Click here
- For a map and details of Luxemburg’s National cycle route network: Click here
The Luxembourgish Ardennes offer 16 marked itineraries for mountain biking ranging from 10 to 40 Km, with varying levels of difficulty. Some itineraries are more specifically designed for families with children. In the summer, guided mountain biking tours can be organised.
- Entente des S.I. du Lac de la Haute Sure (in French and German)
Tel: 89 93 31 20-1
The Luxembourg National Rail Company - CFL (Société des Chemins de Fer de Luxembourg) provides information on 40 signposted walks and 10 cycling tours that all start and end at a rail station.
- To order the guide (in English, German and French): Click here
The Lëtzebuerger Vëlos-Initiativ (LVI) is a not-for-profit association whose aim is to improve the conditions and safety for cyclists in Luxembourg.
- Lëtzebuerger Vëlos-Initiativ - LVI (in French)
At: 6, rue Vauban, L-2663 Luxembourg
Tel: 43 90 30 29
The Luxembourg section of the Fédération Francophone Belge du Cyclotourisme organises regular cycling trips, meet-ups and cycling outings for families.
- Fédération Francophone Belge du Cyclotourisme (in French)
Climbing in Luxembourg
The main spot for outdoor climbing is Berdorf in the Mullerthal region. This is a nature preservation area and in order to climb a permit is necessary.
- To apply for a one day climbing permit: Click here and send the downloaded form to the following address at least 15 days before the planned climbing trip
- Ministère de l’Environnement
18 Montée de la Pétrusse
- Ministère de l’Environnement
Horse Riding in Luxembourg
The Parc Naturel de la Haute-Sûre in the Luxembourg Ardennes provides over 120 Km of bridal paths. Detailed maps can be obtained in the park showing the routes available for horse riders
A tour of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg on horseback is organised every year in August.
For further information about horse riding, contact the Luxembourg federation of Equestrian Sports:
- Federation Luxembourgeoise des Sports Equestres (in German)
At: 3, route d'Arlon, L-8009 Strassen-Luxembourg
Tel: 48 49 99
The Echternach Lake offers various watersports including windsurfing, canoeing and fishing.
The Esch-sur-Sûre Lake is one of the main reservoirs of the Grand-Duchy. Watersports such as diving, canoeing, swimming and windsurfing can be practiced on the lake. A part of the lake is not accessible to the public.
Rosport provides water skiing on the Moselle River over a 42 Km distance from Ahn, Bech-Kleinmacher, Ehnen, Grevenmacher, Remich and Wasserbillig. Courses are also provided on the Rosport reservoir from May to October.
- Luxembourg Water Skiing Union (Union Luxembourgeoise de Ski Nautique)
At: 3, route d'Arlon, L-8009 Luxembourg
Tel: 48 56 42
Hot Air Ballooning
Luxembourg has facilities for hot air ballooning, early morning or evening in the summer and at any time of the day in the winter season. Bookings should generally be made a few days in advance.
Gliding may be practiced during the weekend from April to October in Useldange.
- Cercle Luxembourgeois de Vol a Voile (CLVV)
Postal Address: B.P. 1577, L-1015 Luxembourg
Tel: 23 63 81 17
- Sunrise: 5:45
- Sunset: 21:18
- The Weather:
8.7°C (47°F) and Heavy Rain in Luxembourg (Last Updated on May 19, 10:25 PM CEST)